The nationalisation of the MER in 1957 produced the first MER Board of Tynwald which decided to replace traditional MER livery with an ill chosen green and white scheme, and the first of these repaints appeared on 24th December 1957. Disregarding the howls of protest, and the incidental danger of cars not being easily seen on the approach to road crossings, the Board pursued its policy until October 1958, by which time Cars Nos. 1, 20, 21, 22, 27, 29, 32 and 33, together with Trailer Nos. 50, 61, 62 and Snaefell Nos. 2 and 4 had acquired the new green livery which featured white lettering and numerals shaded blue, with white and grey interiors. With the end of this Board, repaints from November 1958 reverted to traditional livery and the last green thing disappeared in September 1963. In 1979 Car 32 and Trailer 62 were ‘treated’ to green livery again although a different shade was used.
Since that time, Paddlebox No.16 and Bulkhead Trailer No.60 have also received green paintwork, and more recently cars 21, 32 (proving that lightening can strike three times !) and 62 have also been similarly treated.