“There are 'absolutely no
assurances' with regards to what happens next with Tramway Terrace.
That's from Infrastructure Minister Tim Crookall, who has been addressing concerns about the future of the site in Tynwald this morning.
In October last year, the DOI produced plans to demolish the building - but these were retracted two months later after a report from DEFA questioned the evidence basis for that decision.
Mr Crookall told gathered members the future of the site will become clear after more inspectors have surveyed it.
He stated his department is expecting an inspector on the Island 'towards the end of this month', and that further health and safety inspections will also be made.
But he had this warned that the condition of the neglected building could result in no service operating on the Horse Tramway during 2024.
Elsewhere, the cost of scaffolding the building whilst its future is up for debate was questioned by MHKs.
When asked what has been spent each year since 2018 on building maintenance and scaffolding on the site, Mr Crookall revealed specific spending since 2018 is 'difficult to ascertain', stating the Department does not break down expenses on the Strathallan site to each individual element of the complex.
With regards to the entire site (including stables, ticket offices etc.), Mr Crookall provided the following breakdown:
- 2018/19 - £5,634 was spent on building maintenance and there were no scaffolding charges
- 2019/20 - £10,539 was spent on building maintenance and £1,150 on scaffolding
- 2020/21 - £10,998 was spent on building maintenance and £4,555 on scaffolding
- 2021/22 - £13,209 was spent on building maintenance and £8,820 on scaffolding
- 2022/23 - £20,688 was spent on building maintenance and £7,620 on scaffolding
- 2023/24 (to date) £15,174 was spent on building maintenance and £17,560 on scaffolding
The total since the DOI took over responsibility for the building in real terms for building maintenance and scaffolding totals £115,947.
It also implies a jump of around £10,000 has resulted since scaffolding was advised for Tramway Terrace.”
The current DOI Minister's comments can be heard HERE